It was a real pleasure to welcome John Arthur to the group today as guest. John is well-known around Edinburgh for the work he does in the recovery community. People who know John find him to be an inspiring and caring figure who likes to help and stand up for disadvantaged people in society. With this in mind we thought it would be really interesting to hear about John’s own life journey and what lead him to where he is today.
Upon listening to John’s story it made us realise how different situations in our lives create different paths of which we can choose to take. A good example of this is the film ‘sliding doors’ where it captures the life analogy of one door closing and another opening. While we are living in the present we are not aware of these things and perhaps only become aware when we look back with hindsight. Due to John’s life experiences he has developed a passion for helping others. Below is a list of just some of the things John has achieved;
- Director and forming the group Recovering Justice
- working with young people to involve them in changing services for other young folk
- Founding member of the Serenity Cafe in Edinburgh
- National Director of CREW which is in the field of substance use and harm prevention
- Trustee on the board of the Scottish Drugs Recovery Consortium
- Managing recovery coach training
- Senior Associate working with an Expert Witness Team
- Helping create the first SMART recovery group in Edinburgh
John talked fondly of his recent around the world trip and of the many amazing people he met along the way. From his life journey to his world travel journey it was a fascinating listening experience and made us think about our own journeys and the paths we take in life. we would like to thank him John for giving us his time and passing on his hope and inspiration!